Monday 27 September 2010

Lip Synch Tutorial

I learnt how to cut and edit together the original soundtrack together with the video so that it looked like the lyrics were coming from the singers voice. This was also the hardest part of the activity as it proved difficult at times to be able to mark the point exactly where a word was said. I then used this a a reference point and marked the same point on the video footage which I then linked them together. I did this multiple times with many different clips of the same video but from different angles.

To actually find the exact point at where a particular lyric was said on the soundtrack I had to open up the wave form on final cut pro and this is something I did not know how to do before and I found that this could also be done with video clips. I also used the lock tool on the timeline to lock certain video clips or the original soundtrack in place to prevent it from moving about when I was editing.



Editing short films and editing music videos are very different in the amount of cuts there are involved. A music video of the same length as a short film can easily have double the number of cuts. I also used a different form of editing where instead of cutting down each individual clip to just the right amount I needed which is what I did in the editing of short films. I now layered the entire length of each clip on top of each other without their sound clips after marking reference points of course and finally with the original soundtrack at the bottom. I then set about marking points on the timeline to the beat of the music. After that I could cut up all the clips into sections according to those markings and create a well made music video relatively quickly. Although similarly to a short film production we had to pick out the main "characters" in the music video, this involved the use of a lot of close ups to emphasize concentration on one person which was Hannah in the music video singing the song 'He's the greatest dancer' by Sister Sledge. We also used medium shots to introduce the other character in the background which was Japhet and also the environment which we bathed in a deep red light to create a feeling similar to that of a disco or club.

No comments:

Post a Comment